November 30, 2020
Shopify experiences record Black Friday sales
Shopify shared its record-setting Black Friday sales of $2.4 billion* from the independent and direct-to-consumer brands on the platform worldwide. On Nov. 27, from the start of Black Friday in New Zealand through the end of Black Friday in California, Shopify-powered businesses saw a 75% increase in sales from Black Friday in 2019, and by 8:00 a.m. EST, before most North Americans had breakfast, merchants on Shopify collectively had crossed $1 billion in sales.
2020 Black Friday Global Highlights**
- $2.4 billion in Black Friday sales globally, a 75% growth in sales from last year.*
- New York, London, Los Angeles were the top-selling cities worldwide on Black Friday, with top-selling countries including US, UK and Canada.
- Mobile sales on Black Friday were 67% compared to 33% of sales made on desktop. In 2019, 69% of Black Friday sales were made on mobile and 31% on desktop.
- Top product categories globally during Black Friday were apparel and accessories with health and beauty and home and garden following.
- Average Black Friday cart price globally was $90.70, an increase of 11% from last year.
- 14% cross-border orders placed on the platform on Black Friday.
- 20,000+ tonnes of carbon emissions offset from the delivery of every order placed on Shopify’s platform on Black Friday.
For a dynamic, real-time view of Black Friday/Cyber Monday commerce from Shopify’s more than one million independent businesses worldwide, visit datastories.shopify.com.
*Shopify’s 2020 Black Friday data is based on sales by its more than one million businesses in approximately 175 countries around the world from November 26th 11:00:00 UTC to November 28th 8:00:00 UTC.
**Shopify’s 2020 Black Friday data is based on sales by its more than one million businesses in approximately 175 countries around the world from November 27th 00:00 UTC to November 27th 24:00.
All data presented here (including worldwide sales) is approximate and is based on various assumptions. All data is unaudited and is subject to adjustment. All financial figures are in USD.