July 7, 2014 • Kim Baker
1. When and how did you start working in this business?
I always loved to draw and paint. I was also interested in biology, but when I found out you had to dissect frogs, it was art school all the way! After college I began as an in-house illustrator with a major greeting card company. Ten years later I moved to art directing social expression and have been happily engaged in that role, creating all types of products.
2. What is your signature style?
While I work in a broad range of styles, I would say “elegant and process driven” would be a strength. As for my own signature style, I’m known as “Queen of the Skimmer” around the office, as I really do love a good pointy-toe flat.
3. What are your most popular stationery offerings?
Papyrus offers a wide variety of stationery types, but our best selling formats are our blank and thank you boxed note cards. We love giving the consumer a range of format options from simple to handmade.
4. Please share the direction your line will be taking.
We’re always focused on innovation with an emphasis on amazing new artistic talent, unique new formats, beautiful processes and the highest quality handmade treatments. We are known throughout the industry for our product quality and we’ll be maintaining that strategy.
5. What are your top three tips for success?
1. We’ve heard this one before, but it’s still true: the most important thing is to love what you do – love the process of creating.
2. Stay relevant to your consumers by being a savvy observer of people, culture and trends and reflecting those observations back to your consumer.
3. Make it really easy for people to find and buy your products.